Tuesday, January 15, 2013

You're All Morons!!!

Yesterday I did what I always do on Facebook...I posted an opinion.  It was nothing more than a passing thought, definitely not something I spend my afternoons contemplating or pining over, but the immediate response I got sort of caught me off guard.  So...what better way to continue the conversation than to blog about it right?  So here goes.  This was my post.  "When I come across Facebook "friends" whose profile pic is their kids & not them...I "unfriend." Is that weird?"  I got 50 posts in a matter of minutes and EVERYONE had an opinion!  Oddly, but maybe not in fact odd at all, nearly every "Like" that I received came from my LA friends, most of whom are single.  The comments, however, came from back home.  The conversation never turned negative and I'm glad, because my post was never intended to be negative...they never are actually.  I just like sharing thoughts and hearing other perspectives.  I don't always agree with other people because let's face it, most people are morons...but yesterday was different ;-)

Now let me just be clear about something.  When I say "morons,"  and I believe that is probably the most accurate word I can use, I am very much including myself in that category.  I'm 32 years old, I pay more in rent each month than anyone back home pays for their mortgage and I am still putting myself out there every single day, only to be rejected by just about every casting director in this city, but I'm ok with at that.  I'm a moron, but I think you have to be a complete moron in order to one day become a genius.  So, YOU'RE ALL MORONS!  Lol.  I hope you find the love and motivation behind that statement and if you don't...you really are the lowest common denominator of humanity!  But...back to the topic at hand!


The comments I received yesterday were (not so shockingly) mostly from mothers & carried insights that I hadn't considered in the 9 seconds it took me to contemplate, type & share said post.  What I heard more often than not was that as a parent, your child tends to be your absolute proudest accomplishment.  Also, some mothers said they are not happy with the way they look, so they'd rather post pics of their kids.  I know that my own mom loves me, and the rest of her kids (but mostly me) more than she loves herself...it's just the kind of person that she is.  As a kid, and especially as a teenager, I was VERY MUCH ok with that!  However, that sentiment has changed now that I'm a grown ass man.  Yeh I said grown ass...what you gonna do about it?  I'm just playin ;-)  In all seriousness though, as an adult I want nothing more than for my mom to figure out how to put the focus back on her, because I'm pretty sure she hasn't done that since she was a teenager and that tends to be the case for a lot of mothers.  To some degree it may just be that I don't understand because I'm not a parent...I seriously can't even keep a plant alive!  But I also know that for many people, women in particular, it's just easier to focus your love on someone else than it is to take care of yourself.  We all need love others...we all need to nurture and care for others, but we ALL need to do those things for ourselves from time to time too.  


I'm not a parent (if that comes as a shock to any of you then you haven't been paying attention the past 32 years), but I do know what it's like to give all of my heart to others and get little in return.  From what I can tell, that tends to be a general theme in parenthood!  I've learned during the past year in particular that it is ok to be a little selfish from time to time, it's ok to want more out of life and it's ok to let go of the people who aren't around to make your life better.  There is ALWAYS enough love to go around!  Just look at that creepy family will the 242 little kids that all wear khakis and look alike...the Duggers I think.  There are so many damn kids in that family they could start a small town, but they seem full of love.  Loving one one child does not mean you love another child less and it should never mean that you stop loving yourself.  So, before I sound too preachy, I'll just say this.  STOP BEING A MORON AND START LOVING YOURSELF...IT MIGHT BE THE MOST GENIUS DECISION YOU EVER MAKE!



Side Note:  If you like my blog...PLEASE share with your friends & family!  Ask them to help me out by subscribing & I'll do my best to keep you entertained!  

2 comments: